A friend of mine, Stephena, asked me for a post like this. Like me, she was looking for fashion/wardrobe advice for college. In Jamaica, we wear uniforms all the way up to high school (whether it’s a public or private school). Because of this, the transition to wearing casual clothes every day in college can be hard for some people.
I watched loads of YouTube videos, read blog posts, and scoured Pinterest for inspiration. I found a lot of great tips and outfits, but for the sake of simplicity and affordability, I’ve chosen the most practical tips for a Jamaican college student.
Essentially, you’ll need to start with a few basics. You don’t need *all* of these, but it’s a good place to start and you’ll cover your bases.
- A few camisoles and/or tank tops
- Plain T-Shirts (White and/or coloured)
- ‘Nice’ tops (button-down tops, or whatever fits your personal style)
- A few pairs of jeans (If at all possible, get one light-wash, one dark-wash and one pair of black jeans.)
- A pair of leggings (optional)
- A cardigan (optional)
- Belt (optional)
- Sandals and/or
- Sneakers and/or
- Comfy flats
Once you have these, you can come up with many outfits, all with the same basic formula: Top + bottom + shoes.
All you have to do is choose one from each category and add accessories as you wish.
- White T-shirt (V-neck, Crew neck, Polo)
- Coloured T-shirt (V-neck, Crew neck, Polo)
- Graphic T-shirt
- Crop Tops
- Long-sleeve tops
- Jeans (Dark, light or black)
- (And anything else you may have in your closet, such as joggers, shorts, skirts or Capri pants.)
- Ballet flats
- (Any other comfortable shoes you may have such as crocs, flip-flops)
Belt: If you tuck your shirt in, you can wear a cute belt as an accessory.
Jewellery: Add jewellery as necessary to accessorize your look, such as rings, necklaces, anklets, bracelets, etc.
Cardigan: If your classes get a bit cold, you can wear a very light cardigan. It’s better than wearing a sweater, in some cases. Because if it does get hot, you can fold it and put it in your bag without worrying about taking up too much space (unlike a bulky sweater).
Simple Outfit Inspiration
Round neck shirt, jeggings and sneakers
Flannel shirt, blue jeans, belt, sandals and necklace
Crop Top, high-waisted jeans, ballet flats, necklace
Round neck top, blue jeans, converse, necklace
Though I haven’t managed to post on here often because I’m still adjusting to Medical school, I have been taking a lot of pictures, so I decided to share them. I hope you guys liked this post, and thanks to Stephena for recommending that I write a post like this.
Until next time,